Sunday, February 19, 2012

FITTING THE PIECES TOGETHER

The first week we started the course, we were exposed to three learning theories: Behaviorism, Cognitivism and Constructivism.  We were also introduced to the timeline in the History of Learning media presentation.  The first thing that caught my attention was how you could see a lot of the very earlier thinkers’ ideas within the more modern theories we were learning.  I also noticed the relationship of theories to the knowledge acquired of how the brain works.   Through the weeks, as new learning theories were added, additional factors to consider were thrown into the mix.  For example, a new dimension was added after constructivism, where we started to see the importance of social aspects through the Social Learning theory.  At this point, I began to notice the fact that we learn in ways which go further than just classroom instruction.  We now began to see the importance of the social context in learning.  Then we saw that not only is the social context important, but also that the world is full of information that we need to connect to via information networks.  Finally we found out that as adults, we have different ways of approaching the way we learn and that there are many factors which affect how we actually learn. 

Given what we have learned, how has my view changed on how I learn?  Basically, my view of how I learn remains the same.   I still learn better when things are presented in an organized fashion and when I have the opportunity to learn by doing.  None the less, I now have a better understanding of the reasoning behind why I learn the way I do.
 Given the cognitive theory, I am now better capable of understanding why I learn better when things are presented in an organized fashion.  Based on the explanation of learning styles, I have a better understanding of why it is easy for me to understand lessons which are accompanied by visual material.  When I look at the adult learning theory, I see how action learning and experiential learning works best for me.  If I look at multiple intelligences, then I find comfort in knowing that there is hope for me to increase at some point of my life my logical-mathematical intelligence, as all intelligences may be improved.   Basically, the way I learn remains the same; however, I can now come up with an explanation of why I learn in a particular way.
At this point, technology is playing a very big role in my learning.  As I worked in a computer manufacturing company for many years, technology has been a part of my everyday life for some time.  None the less, I always perceived it as a working tool; even when I was learning through it.  Taking this program via online learning, has opened up a new perspective on how I view learning.  I always envisioned formal education in a classroom environment.  I am now a believer that online learning is effective.  I also believe that motivation, metacognition and self direction as a learner are key to succeeding in the program.  I find it interesting that most of the articles we read are online and assignments already assume that additional research will be done on-line.  I think that in time to come, technology will play a much bigger role in education and as instructional designers we will be at the forefront of implementing it.   

No comments:

Post a Comment