Sunday, February 5, 2012

Connectivism and Learning Networks

Connectivism contends that people learn through networks they construct in order to gain knowledge.   According to this theory, not only is nurturing and maintaining connections needed in order to facilitate continual learning, but the ability to see the connection between fields, ideas and concepts become a core skill.  There is no doubt that there is a great amount of informal learning which occurs via our interaction with others.  With technological advances, our networks have expanded from personal to virtual communication and even to communication with machines that hold information we need. 

As I was growing up, my network was comprised of family, friends and teachers.  Now, it contains all of those components plus major ones facilitated by technology.    By having all these resources available to me, the way I learn has been greatly impacted.  I am now able not only to consult with those close to me, but to source and verify information via technology resources and in most cases get an instant response.  I would say my network has changed the way I learn by improving the amount of reliable information I can obtain almost instantaneously.   Understanding the theory of connectivism has also made me realize that the information I am obtaining could change at any time depending on newly discovered facts.  As learners, this fact should encourage us to constantly seek the latest information available on the different topics of interest.

As we talk about digital tools which facilitate learning, the list is very long.  Once you log on to the internet, possibilities are limitless.  From searching topics on Google, to connecting with your friends in Facebook to accessing business applications on line, to sending e-mails , it is very hard to determine which tool best facilitates learning.  As all these tools have become an integral part of our everyday life, I would propose that we learn equally from all of them.  I personally feel that so much technology sometimes limits the benefits of human interaction; hence,  I make the greatest possible effort to maintain personal relations, choosing to call someone on the phone rather than texting them or having lunch with them rather than chatting on Facebook. 
I think that it is important to understand the linkages in your network.  It is important to understand where the latest reliable knowledge lies and how multiple links that hold pieces of information interface with one another.  Being able to interpret the information you receive is also important.   When I have questions, I go to the different links or resources in my network to find out the answer.  Once I obtain information, I may use another part of my network to verify that the answer I am getting is correct and based on the latest available information. 

There is no doubt in my mind that a great amount of learning occurs via networks we construct.   To this extent, I am in full agreement with the central tenets of connectivism.    Putting together a mind map has made me realized how much I rely on my network in order to obtain knowledge.   This does not mean that I feel connectivism is the one, all inclusive theory of how we learn.  In my opinion it is another piece of valuable information we should keep in mind as we design effective instructional solutions.

No comments:

Post a Comment